Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sprint Triathlon Training Tips - 12 Weeks From Couch Potato to Race Finisher

I had to learn the hard way that sprint triathlon training is no walk in the park. I had a friend invite me to join with him and some other friends in training for a sprint triathlon that was a few months away. I smiled and said I would be there to cheer them on but I would never participate. The next morning, my roommate and I were up at roughly the crack of dawn to start our first training run. 1 and 1/2 miles later I was puking my guts out. Nothing like losing my morning meal to learn that I indeed needed to get in shape. The long story short was that in twelve weeks I went from being a total couch potato to finishing my first sprint triathlon. I learned a lot in those twelve weeks that are critical for those just starting a sprint triathlon training program.
 
1. Don't overdo it in the beginning
I started my training indeed fast (like every single day of the week I was running.) I was speedily burned out and started developing shin splints. A moderate program of 3 or 4 days a week to start is all a beginner indeed needs. Remember that only about 1.7% of citizen in the citizen have ever concluded a triathlon and that should be the goal for your first one. There is so much to learn about race day that just finishing is an accomplishment.
 
2. Train in all 3 disciplines weekly
A lot of citizen that rule to train for a triathlon think they are already good at one sport so they only need to pick up the other two. Not true. A weekly training program that includes all 3 legs of the race is essential. This will keep improving your skills in all three and get your body used to the multiple activities. Each leg requires separate muscles and all need to be trained regularly.
 
3. Enlarge into "brick" workouts
A brick workout is when you do two of the activities back to back with little rest in between. This helps your body to learn to transition from swimming to biking and biking to running. Most beginners will have a hard time stabilizing their equilibrium when getting out of the water and onto their bike. Practicing this transition is a key to getting ready for race day. Brick workouts are a very prominent element to your training but don't have to be implemented immediately. Enlarge in your abilities as a swimmer, biker and runner for 4-6 weeks and then begin brick workouts on a weekly basis. The last 4 weeks of training should consistently use bricks in your routine.
 
Sprint triathlon training can be grueling for a beginner but the rewards are amazing. Crossing the cease line (even in 2nd to last place like I did the first time) is a feeling you won't speedily forget. The crowd will still cheer like you won the race and it will feel like you did win. The complete exhaustion that will likely follow is also a feel good reminder that you concluded something that 98.7% of the citizen has never done.

Sprint

Sprint Triathlon Training Tips - 12 Weeks From Couch Potato to Race Finisher
Sprint Triathlon Training Tips - 12 Weeks From Couch Potato to Race Finisher

No comments:

Post a Comment